Friday, September 13, 2013

Why wearing daisy Dukes should be OK

This American Dad has been getting a great deal of attention after dressing himself in short shorts to teach his teenage daughter a lesson about wearing revealing clothes. He says in his blog 

"I know the world has varying degrees of what is modest and what is not when it comes to clothing.  In our family we have pretty definite modesty guidelines; No mid-drift or low-cut shirts, no short-shorts, short skirts and we even go as far as saying no sleeveless shirts unless playing sports or on the beach. Having raised four daughters and three sons, I’m a bit protective. Some may call me old fashion, but I call it “A Dad who loves his daughters” (and sons too)...I’m a firm believer that the way we dress sends messages about us, and it influences the way we and others act. My teenage daughter day after day continues to wear clothing that I, as her father, feel is inappropriate and immodest. Her mother and I feel the same about the importance of dressing modest."

Isn't it a shame that his attempts to shame and victim blame didn't result in a lesson about respecting women and the amount of shit they have to put up with on a daily basis. For example he could have returned and started a dad campaign highlighting the harassment that women have to put up with just because they want to walk the streets like men do. Isn't it enlightening that all he had to endure, in his short shorts, was people chatting to him and asking if it was ok to take his photo? 


No comments: