Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What to get the woman who has everything?


Husband asked me for ideas about what to get me for my birthday. As we have just been given an allotment plot I asked for various things which elicited the following response "I was hoping to get you something nicer than a £4 rake? Something more personal….." which I suppose is fair enough, though I am not sure what is personal about the itunes voucher he proposed last week. I will be 42, what does a 42 year old woman who has 'just enough of what she needs' want for her 42nd birthday? Another baby? Silly suggestion, there is no way we could afford another baby and ideally a bigger age gap between two children would work out better as far as nursery fees go. So rather than ask for fancy things I might like but don't really need I tried to think about what would be useful and at the moment it's watering cans and rakes.

We have a small plot with a shed on the allotment site I used to garden at; we are sharing it with husband's friend Mike. I was given 3 to choose from and we chose the smallest - our half has 2 small and one large raised beds on it and so far I have dug the two smallest and made a plan of what goes where. Already, having been up there twice, I feel calmer and more relaxed. I think this will be good for me as allotmenteering has always been something I enjoy. The hard effort of the digging really releases stress and the hanging about in the sunshine tending to my veg gives me a real sense of wellbeing and achievement, perhaps something I have felt lacking in recent months. It is nice too that husband is keen to help and has shown a real interest in vegetable growing. My ex used to laugh at me and I don't think he helped in any way at all, though I do remember him comeing up to see me one day and laughing at the other allotment-holders in their sheds with their flasks which I thought was really rude.

How the hell did I get to 42 without noticing; last time I looked I was 39. I was 39 when I had my IVF treatment and 40 when I found out I was pregnant. The last 2 years have been so full of other stuff that my age has not been important or interesting. So can I stay at 39 please?

No comments: