Sunday, November 21, 2010

sitting in a parked car

So I just spent 45 minutes sitting in the car right outside the house wishing I could just drive away and de-stress. my husband and I have had a major disagreement over me not wanting to call anyone when I go into labour - or more to the point not wanting him to call his mum when I go into labour. Perhaps we just have very different expectations and beliefs about what is important when it comes to family? I don't think that there is any reason for anyone to be informed that I have gone into labour, infact I can't see why it is in any way important that they know. It is really important to me that I get space and privacy and so I have requested that we don't tell anyone, not even my mum. For some reason my husband thinks, to quote him, 'it's the normal thing to do'. I think he watches too much TV, where women give birth on their backs and it only takes half an hour while extended family pace up and down outside. I don't think he realises that a lot of the labour process will happen at home and may take a long time. I don't think that he understands that my feelings and my anxieties are what are most important. I don't care if it's what he thinks is normal, or if it's what his mum expects - my feelings should be considered first surely?

No comments: